John Douglass Brown House
  • Built circa 1775 by Patrick Murray on a 1/4 block lot, the typical original subdivision of Alexandria’s blocks
  • Originally the property fell within the bounds of Fairfax County as part of a 700 acre land grant
  • The dwelling and outbuildings were owned by the Brown family between 1816 and 2000
  • Marked by John Alexander Chapter in 1976

Brown House

Brown Exterior

Brown Exterior

Brown Marker  

The text of the marking is as follows:

JOHN DOUGLASS BROWN HOUSE

FARM HOUSE IN FAIRFAX COUNTY, VIRGINIA, LOCATED UPON PART OF A SEVEN HUNDRED ACRE LAND PATENT GRANTED TO MARGARET BRENT IN 1654. OWNED AND OCCUPIED BY DESCENDANTS OF JOHN DOUGLASS BROWN AND MARY GOULDING GRETTER SINCE 1816.

PLACED BY
JOHN ALEXANDER CHAPTER
NATIONAL SOCIETY DAUGHTER OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION
1976

 
Return to Markers

 


Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
Contact our Webmaster for any issues about our site.
Last update March 1, 2010