Home of Edmund Jennings Lee

 

  • Edmund Jennings Lee was a member and president of the Common Council from 1809 to 1810, mayor of Alexandria from 1815 to 1818, clerk of the U.S. Circuit Court from 1818 to 1837, president of the Alexandria Canal Company in l830, a founder of the Episcopal Seminary, and a warden of Christ Church. 
  • Both he and his brother Charles Lee married daughters of Richard Henry Lee (1732-1794), a signer of the Declaration of Independence and Virginia’s first United States Senator.  
  • Marker erected by the John Alexander Chapter, 1967

Edmund Jennings Lee

Edmund Jennings Lee Marker    Edmund Jennings Lee Placement

The text of the marking is as follows:

HOME OF
EDMUND JENNINGS LEE
COMPLETED 1801

EMINENT LAWYER, HE LIVED HERE UNTIL 1837. HIS SON, CASSIUS FRANCIS LEE UNTIL 1865. EDMUND JENNINGS LEE SERVED AS VESTRYMAN AND WARDEN OF CHRIST CHURCH, WHOSE GLEBE LANDS HE SUCCESSFULLY DEFENDED FROM CONFISCATION AFTER THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR. MAYOR OF ALEXANDRIA 1814-1818. ROBERT EDWARD LEE, HIS NEPHEW, CONSIDERED THIS HIS SECOND HOME.

PLACED BY
JOHN ALEXANDER CHAPTER
NATIONAL SOCIETY DAUGHTER OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION
1967

 
Return to Markers

 


Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
Contact our Webmaster for any issues about our site.
Last update March 1, 2010