Lloyd House
  • Built 1797 by John Wise, tavern keeper, and his residence, until 1799.
  • Home to Benjamin Hallowell, schoolmaster, who prepared Robert E. Lee for West Point. Lee was often a guest at the house. Purchased 1832 by John Lloyd and remained in his family to 1918.
  • Restored by Alexandria Historical Restoration and Preservation Commission as choice example of Late Georgian architecture.
  • Marker erected by John Alexander Chapter in 1983

Lloyd House

Lloyd Marker  

The text of the marking is as follows:

LLOYD HOUSE

BUILT 1797 BY JOHN WISE, TAVERN KEEPER, AND HIS RESIDENCE, UNTIL 1799. RENTAL PROPERTY WHEN SOLD TO MAJOR JACOB HOFFMAN 1810–1825, INCLUDED OUTBUILDINGS, GARDENS, SMALL SUGAR REFINERY. NEXT OWNER ELIZABETH THACKER HOOE LEASED HOUSE TO BENJAMIN HALLOWELL, SCHOOLMASTER, WHO HAD PREPARED ROBERT E. LEE FOR WEST POINT. LEE WAS OFTEN A GUEST AT THE HOUSE. PURCHASED 1832 BY JOHN LLOYD AND REMAINED IN HIS FAMILY TO 1918. SAVED BY ROBERT V. NEW FROM DEMOLITION 1956. WITH CONTRIBUTIONS FROM FEDERAL, STATE AND CITY GOVERNMENTS, THE HOGE FOUNDATION, HISTORIC ALEXANDRIA FOUNDATION, AND OTHERS BOUGHT 1968 AND RESTORED BY ALEXANDRIA HISTORICAL RESTORATION AND PRESERVATION COMMISSION AS CHOICE EXAMPLE OF LATE GEORGIAN ARCHITECTURE.

PLACED BY
JOHN ALEXANDER CHAPTER NSDAR
1983

 
Return to Markers

 


Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
Contact our Webmaster for any issues about our site.
Last updated March 1, 2010